Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Little Boy....and the magnets he swallowed!

Yes, it's been more than a week since I posted. Life here at home is always busy, and a little crazy too. I say crazy because I have this terrific little boy, Davey, who does these things, and honestly makes my life, like I said, "CRAZY!!!"

Anyway, last Wednesday night, my hubby finally went back to work. He was off for 6 days, because he was sick with a sinus infection. So, off my hubby goes to work. I was a little relieved to have things in the house back to normal. So, like usual do, I put Davey to bed, relieved to have some time alone, cause I never get any time alone....and not 2 minutes later, Davey is screaming, "mommy, mommy I swallowed my Magnetix!!!" I almost lost it. "WHAT? how many did you swallow, and WHY?" Well, I finally got my senses, and calmed down. Davey swallowed two of those recalled (yes, I know, and I don't want to hear it!!!) Magnetix's!!! So, I immediately call my hubby, he has to turn around and meet us at the hospital. I was frantic remembering what I've heard if a child swallowed one of those toys, and that my little boy would have to have emergency surgery!

We got in the car rushed him to the hospital, frantic, like I said, praying and asking the Lord to calm me down so I could drive safely. We get to the hospital, and all the memories of my Dad's death came to me, I was hoping we wouldn't have the same ER room where my Dad died so many months ago. They immediately took Davey, took an x-ray, sure enough there they were, in Davey's stomach. The ER doctor wasn't concerned, and said they should "pass". That's it? No surgery, no harm done? Wow that was really easy, so I thought!

Relieved that all will be well, and knowing that I would have to search through "poop" for the next couple of days, not happy about THAT!!!! I put Davey back to bed, and I sat down and watched my favorite show, "American Idol." Well not too long after that, I called our family pediatrician to let him know what happened, he told me how concerned he is, and that we have to watch Davey very closely, cause there have been deaths due to swallowing these things......thanks, all I needed to hear! Davey needed another x-ray the next day to see if the magnets were "moving along". So the next day Davey got another x-ray, and the magnets were in his lower intestine, which is a very good thing, and I would have to continue checking his poop....oh joy! But really it's a good thing, and he should pass them very soon.....so the doctor said.

Two days past, and still no magnets, so I was so concern, my poor doctor got phone calls from me, he already knows I'm a worry wort when it comes to my kids, after all they are my LIFE!!!! On Saturday, yes Valentine's Day, I had a wonderful day with our family. My hubby bought me a cute "Build A Bear" teddy bear, that was such a surprised, and no candy this year, thank you hunny. I made a special homemade waffle breakfast...and all during the day I was "blessed" with checking my sons "poop"!

Now I tell you, usaually Davey only poops (sorry!) once a day, but that day he HAD to poop like four times! So I checked and checked, and the doctor said maybe I missed the magnets....I don't think so, I was very thorough!!! I was really worried that day, cause like I said, I have heard such horror stories of the damage these magnets can do to a child's intestines if they're not passed quickly..... the doctor said to bring Davey in on Monday for another x-ray if I find nothing over the weekend......Monday, that's too late, what if something happends over the weekend?

Finally at 7pm that night I was given the best Valentine's present of them all.......yes it was the magnets!!! I was so excited when I "found" them, I think the whole state of NJ heard me shout for joy! I think all of heaven heard my shouts of joy and thankfulness to our Lord, too! But truly the Lord was faithful again, and spared my little boys life yet again! Thank you Lord!


Just to let you know, we threw out all the Magnetix....even though Davey loved playing with them. We still find some here and there, and it's so cute to see Davey taking them and putting them into the garbage. I asked Davey why he swallowed them, he said it was "on purpose, and he didn't want to go to bed".....unbelievable!!! I told you life here can be crazy! Wanna come for a visit?

8 comments:

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Remind me to hide ours when you come over next time!!

Debbie said...

Wow! what a week. I am so glad that Davey is doing ok. You can tell stories to your grandchildren about their dad swallowing magnetics. Probably by then it will be funny.
Thanks for sharing. Have a blessed week!

The Crazy Bus said...

well, there have got to be better ways to keep from going to bed! That'll teach him a lesson he won't soon forget, huh? poor little guy. I'm so glad he's ok! I had not heard about those toys and a recall. I don't have any of them, but I didn't know there were deaths attached!

Busy Mom in NJ said...

Oh my goodness! Such action and adventure in your home! So glad that he is fine now. I'll make a special note not to buy those toys.

Blessings and Joy said...

Loved the story...thanks for the details!!!:o) So glad everyone is functioning again...maybe you'll get a little break now. Just have to say, Davey has already mastered the tools to get what he wants...the magnet trick certainly bought him some hours til bedtime! LOL

Love ya.

JudyBug said...

Oh my! I don't envy you that task at all! I have a son (now 26) but I DO remember!

Thanks so much for visiting me!

JudyBug

A Hint of Home said...

Hi Liz, I was so glad to get your comment, as I had lost track of you. Sorry! I put you in my blog file so that won't happen again.
I'm so glad your little one is ok. What a scare that would be. Kids do the oddest things, don't they? Enjoyed my visit very much.

Heidi Pocketbook said...

Oh my goodness--how traumatic for all involved. I'm glad it all worked out (pun intended!). I know moms have been digging through poop for buried treasure for the last few decades, as my grandma had a string of buttons that my dad swallowed as a baby--proudly displayed in her curio cabinet....

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's nice to meet you☺