Thursday, June 21, 2012

Our Get-Away, and Corn Souffle!

Well, we are back from our little get-away to Lancaster, County in PA.....Amish Country is what I call it!  What a wonderful time we had.  We've been going to Lancaster now for almost 24 years, and each time we go, we just love it.  The countryside is absolutely breath taking, farms, beautiful scenery, flowers, animals, and the Amish people are so interesting. 

My hubby and I have been going to Lancaster since we've first were married, many years ago, and when we had our babies, we introduced the love of Lancaster to them.  Becca and Davey always enjoy going, they are never bored, and love our family traditions of this very special trip. 

The Amish have a way in gardening, cooking, and baking.  Their veggie gardens are always beautiful, along with their flowers and their homemade breads, and pies.  Everything they make is homemade, and if you know me, I "try" to cook and bake from scratch too.  I love to garden, bake and cook, and going to this very special place inspires me. We really enjoyed our time away, relaxing by the pool, eating at our favorite "spots", and of course shopping, and I found some wonderful "great finds"...... We even went to see the show "Jonah" at "Sight and Sound".....it's wonderful going away, but it's always wonderful coming HOME! 

Here's a recipe from the past, Corn Souffle, it's easy, and perfect for a Summer get-together.  Everyone loves this moist almost creamy "corn bread", a real pleaser, and of course so delicious! 
So delicious!!!
I've been making Corn Souffle for only a couple years now, and it's a hit each time I make it. It's such a simple recipe, you'll only need one mixing bowl, and all the ingredients can be found in your pantry, well you do have a well-stocked pantry, right? That's for another post, I guess...... This recipe calls for Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, and one day I didn't have any in my pantry....shh, don't tell Martha! So, instead of running to the grocery store, I got onto the internet and found a Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix"clone." I had all the ingredients, and it came out so good! This is not like a "corn bread", which can be on the dry side, but moist and creamy. It's a great side dish for a barbecue in the summertime, and even goes great with Thanksgiving dinner. Enjoy!

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix Clone

2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup corn meal
3 tbs sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbs vegetable oil
Sometimes a recipe will call for a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix. Here's the clone recipe you can make at home. This is equal to 8.5 ounce box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix.

Combine flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well with a whisk. Whisk in veggie oil and mix until dry mixture is smooth and lumps are gone. This is the stuff that is actually in the box. If you want to make muffins, you just add 1 egg and 1/3 cup milk...stir until combined, fill muffin tins, and bake 15 -20 min.

Corn Souffle

1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix (or the recipe above without the egg and milk)
1 (8oz) can cream corn
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup oil or melted butter(I used the butter)
1/2 tsp. salt
Beat eggs and butter, add salt, and corn bread mix. Mix in corn and sour cream. Pour into casserole dish and bake 35 minutes on 350. Bread is done when a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center. Enjoy!!!



1 comment:

Miss Debbie said...

Hi! Came here by way of Sandie at Chatty Crone. Recipe sounds like something my family would like.Thanks for sharing it! Glad you enjoyed your trip.I'd like to go there someday!