Friday, September 23, 2011

Corn Souffle

I've been making Corn Souffle for only a couple years now, and it's a hit each time I make it. It's such a simple recipe, you'll only need one mixing bowl, and all the ingredients can be found in your pantry, well you do have a well-stocked pantry, right? That's for another post, I guess...... This recipe calls for Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, and one day I didn't have any in my pantry....shh, don't tell Martha! So, instead of running to the grocery store, I got onto the internet and found a Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix"clone." I had all the ingredients, and it came out so good! This is not like a "corn bread", which can be on the dry side, but moist and creamy. It's a great side dish for a barbecue in the summertime, and even goes great with Thanksgiving dinner. Enjoy!

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix Clone2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup corn meal
3 tbs sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbs vegetable oil
Sometimes a recipe will call for a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix. Here's the clone recipe you can make at home. This is equal to 8.5 ounce box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix.

Combine flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well with a whisk. Whisk in veggie oil and mix until dry mixture is smooth and lumps are gone. This is the stuff that is actually in the box. If you want to make muffins, you just add 1 egg and 1/3 cup milk...stir until combined, fill muffin tins, and bake 15 -20 min.

Sour Cream Corn-Spoon Bread1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix (or the recipe above without the egg and milk)
1 (8oz) can cream corn
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup oil or melted butter(I used the butter)
1/2 tsp. salt
Beat eggs and butter, add salt, and corn bread mix. Mix in corn and sour cream. Pour into casserole dish and bake 35 minutes on 350. Bread is done when a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center. Enjoy!!!



4 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

I love making this recipe as well! My friend Bill from college sent it to me to use for Thanksgiving a few years ago.

Dave said...

Love the made up doctored recipe Its yummo. The creamer the better!!

Annesphamily said...

Jiffy is great for a quick fix and you can doctor it up to your delight! Yum! I need my breakfast! Hugs Anne

Anonymous said...

I made this over the weekend for a potluck dinner. I added a half of can of green chilies (2oz) for a little southwest kick. It turned out great. Thanks for the recipe. My wife suggested next time I put a little cheddar cheese in to give it a little more zest.