Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Homemade Granola!

Homemade Granola, we just love it in our house.  I use to buy granola at one of my favorite stores, COSTCO, the stuff is so delicious, but EXPENSIVE!!!  And who knows what is in that stuff anyway? So I found a great recipe, and like I do with all recipes made it my own.  I never strictly follow a recipe, I always do it my way, adding my own touches.  This recipe is so delicious, and crunchy, and very easy.  It has dry oatmeal, brown sugar, honey, almonds, walnuts, and my secret ingredient, coconut.  The coconut gives it that special toasted "crunch!"  I don't put raisins or other dried fruit in my granola, but you can, just add the dried fruit after baking, and cool. When it's done baking, it will feel kind of soft, don't worry let it sit in the pan for a while, and it will get nice and crunchy as it cools!  We eat it as a snack, the kids love it in their lunches, and my hubby likes it with his yogurt in the morning.  Try it, you will not be disappointed, and probably won't buy that expensive granola again!  ENJOY!

Homemade Granola
3 1/2 cups old fashioned Oats (Oatmeal)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
1 stick melted butter
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped almonds
1 cup chopped walnuts

In a large bowl combine all the ingredients, toss and put on a well buttered cookie sheet, or spray the cooking sheet with cooking spray.  Bake in the oven on 350 for about 30 minutes.  Now you have to watch it, don't let it burn, I turn the granola over with a spatula about 3 times during the baking process.  Cool in the pan... it will get crunchy while it cools........so delicious!  YUMMO!

2 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

Sounds just like the one I make for us!

cathycrafter said...

Thanks! This granola was delicious. Nate liked this much better than the old newspaper recipe I had been using which included lots of oil as the moisture/fat. I think your's is easier to put together too.