Saturday, March 31, 2012

Happy Spring......Chocolate Cake!

Well, it's been a busy couple of weeks......or did I run out of recipes to post?  NEVER! 

Spring has SPRUNG here in New Jersey!  Everything is blooming, and so beautiful!  It's very early this year, and we were all surprised when the trees, shrubs and flowers started blooming, but we are enjoying it all, just got to get outside and get the yard cleaned up....so much to do, so little time.

Easter is coming next weekend, and this Palm Sunday weekend, our church choir is performing our cantata, "The Risen Christ". We've been practicing for months.  I have enjoyed it, and love singing in our church choir.  So tonight is the first performance, then again tomorrow night. 

March has been a busy birthday month, my little boys birthday was on the 1st, my Hubby's on the 16th, and my Mom's 80th, on the 29th.
Davey and his Birthday cake....YUMMO!


My Hubby's Birthday Cake


 I feel like I've been baking birthday cakes all month long.  I made my "guys" their favorite, and it had to be Chocolate Cake! It's the recipe on back of Hershey's Cocoa, I've been baking this recipe for years, it is so moist, delicious, and easy. Try this recipe, you will want to mark this as your favorite Chocolate Cake, I promise!


 Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

2 cups Sugar
1 & 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cups Hershey's Cocoa Powder
1 & 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 & 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup boiling water (YES BOILING WATER!)

Combine all the ingredients to a bowl in the order listed except the boiling water.  Mix on low at first then mix it on med-high, scrap the sides down making sure its getting mixed. Add the boiling water, and mix on low, again scrap down the sides.

 Prepare two round cake pans, flour and grease them, I like to spray the pans with cooking spray first, then lay in a round of wax paper, spray again, and flour the pans, dump the extra flour out.  Add the batter evenly, and bake in a preheated 350 for 30 - 35 minutes.

Take out of the oven, and let cool for 1 hour or even overnight.  Now make the frosting!

"Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting

1 stick of softened butter (not melted)
2/3 cup "Hershey's Cocoa" powder
3 cups Powered Sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Colored Tube Frosting from the store to decorate

In a mixer cream the butter add the cocoa powder, slowing add the powered sugar, milk and vanilla.  Mix this for 2 - 3 minutes until all combined, scraping the sides down making sure it's all mixed.

Get a pretty cake stand, and put wax paper around the edges, so when you frost your cake so the frosting doesn't mess up the cake stand. Put one cake round on top of the wax paper  Put about 1 cup of the frosting on top of the cake for the filling.  Spread it all around, and top it with the other cake round.  Now start frosting your delicious cake.  Just in case you don't know how to frost a cake, it's so easy, believe me I still make a mess, I'm not perfect, but the wax paper really helps! 

Put frosting on top of the first cake, for a "filling"


Simply frost all around the edges making sure everything is covered!

Perfect, now to decorate, I use those tube frosting and tips from the store.



This is the Birthday Cake I made for my Hubby! All pretty, and EASY!