Sunday, April 29, 2012

Quiche....it's not just for Breakfast anymore!

What a beautiful weekend we are having here in Northern, New Jersey, but it's chilly!  I am looking forward to the warmer weather, and yes, even Summer!  It's been a busy couple of days around here.  We went to visit my Mom yesterday, she's doing great, just a week after open-heart surgery!  She's a trooper, and I sure hope I follow in her footsteps when I'm 80 years old!

Since we have chickens, we get a lot of eggs.  I use our "farm fresh eggs" in cooking, and baking, they are delicious!  I'm so thankful we have our ladies laying such beautiful eggs!  So, to use up these eggs, I like to make Quiche for dinner now and then.  Now I know, "real men don't eat Quiche...."  but in my house they do!  It took a while for my Hubby to get use to eating Quiche, but these days, he enjoys it, as long as there's some kind of MEAT in it.....and of course a squeeze of ketchup on top!

I got this recipe from my sister, Lois years ago, it's easy, and you can put whatever you want in the batter, just use your imagination! My sister like's to use heavy cream, but I use whole milk instead, yes heavy cream is better, but I like to use whatever I have in the frig, and I usually don't have heavy cream sitting in the frig on a regular week night.  You have to let the Quiche sit for at least 15 minutes after baking, or it will be watery.....this is a MUST!

YUMMO, with my own Pie Crust!
Bacon & Cheese Quiche

This recipe makes 1 Quiche - I always double this recipe, one Quiche is never enough!
2 cups Whole Milk (or Heavy Cream)
4 Eggs
4 slices of cooked bacon crumbled
1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese (or whatever cheese you have on hand)
1 unbaked pie pastry shell (I make my own, would never spend extra money on a store-bought pie shell, try my recipe)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg

I usually bake bacon in the oven, put the slices on a foiled cookie sheet, and bake at 375 for 15 minutes until crisp.  Drain on paper towels.

In a bowl whip up the eggs with a fork, add the milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg, whisk with a fork until well combined.  Put the cooked and crumbled bacon on the bottom of the pie shell, add the cheese on top, and pour in the egg and milk mixture.  Bake in a 350 oven for 50 minutes, or until the top is set and nicely puffed.  Remove from oven, and cool for 15 minutes before eating. ENJOY!

Variations - add frozen broccoli or whatever kind of veggies you want.  When I make this, I usually make one bacon and cheese, and one broccoli and cheese, or sometimes I substitute the bacon for sausage. YUMMO!

The Quiche has grape tomatoes and cheese!
This one has broccoli and cheese!

No comments: