Saturday, July 26, 2008

Other People's Junk

I went to a tag sale today. Now, I don't usually go to tag sales...I have so much stuff in my house already, and I don't like other people's junk. But, my friend Christine convinced me to go. It was at this great farm, Luscroft Farm, here in town. I never knew about this farm, it's a farm with a huge house, people around here call it "the mansion". Anyway, Christine wanted me to look at this bread machine to see if it was worth the $7.00 - yep, $7.00 - just buy the bread maker already, and if it's not worth it, then chuck it....but yes I know $7.00 is $7.00! My bread machine was about $60.00, $7.00 - it can't go wrong. So we get there, and the sale is in the huge red barn. It was so cute and rustic, everything I am into these days, thanks to my sister's "primitive" taste...anyway, the barn was full of "other's people junk". But it was really nice junk. I bought so much nice "junk" and I am really pleased. I only spent about $13.00, and I am so happy with my stuff. I bought a fruitpunch bowl, with 10 cups....it's such a nice bowl for only $4.00. 6 steak knives (yes we needed steak knives even though we never eat steak around here!) an old fashion potato masher (one like my mother's), an old cake server, a whisk, an automatic ice tea brewer (my friend Christine got the same one, but in red - I got the blue, yuk!), 2 large Pyrex pie plates, they were .50 cents each!!! (the ones like my mother makes her pies in) 2 very large Corningware casserole dishes....I mean really large ones...one is 9x13 - great for lasagna and the other is a very deep dutch oven, great for stews, sausage and peppers, meatballs, for only $1.00 each!!! I got a pretty rustic candle holder for jar candles...Lois you would love it. And a pretty rustic tin (primitive) hurricane candle holder for only .25 cents. Becca and Davey mostly got free stuff...they were giving away children's books and tapes. Davey got a pair of red boxing gloves already in its own unopened package....he was thrilled....picture will come soon. So, anyway, I bought a lot of nice things for very cheap! Christine never got the bread machine...I think she thought it was too much money. But hey, I got a lot of nice things. Where's the next tag sale? I'm hooked!!!! And Christine...I'm making pizza tonight....making the dough right in my very own bread machine, so easy, and then I'm gonna make cinnamon raisin bread for tomorrow's breakfast...now you wish you got that bread machine, don't ya!

4 comments:

Busy Mom in CA said...

Sounds like my kind of place! I'd love to check it out sometime.

Laurie said...

I am with Christine,I have never used a bread machine. I have made bread and pizza dough, I just use my kitchen aide mixer. The bread machine seems to take up alot of counter space.
Laurie

Liz said...

Laurie, yes I have a Kitchen Aid mixer as well...and have always used it for my pizza dough...but the bread machine makes a nice loaf of whole wheat bread, does it all for you! I love my bread machine!

Anonymous said...

I almost went to that one, too. (I can't believe I have to retype this. I just typed it once already). I usually help out at Lusscroft, but pulled a double on that day. I am so upset I missed all the good stuff! Last time I bought a set of dishes to serve 16 to replace my dishes that were missing tons of pieces. The only chips were in the soup bowls. Can't go wrong for what I had, and what I got for $15. Then, I also bid on a gift certificate to Blue Ribbon and Applebees and won those in their auction. I love this blog thingy. How do I make one for myself? Eleanor