Thursday, October 13, 2011

Chicken Cordon Blue......The Easy Way!

I just love Chicken Cordon Blue.  My mom use to make it for us, it was usually for a special occasion. She would pound the cutlets thin, then roll them up and toothpick them together, and then deep fry.....YUM!  I guess back then we weren't counting our calories, but we just loved it!!! 

I've been making Chicken Cordon Blue for years, and my family just loves it, but it's so time consuming.  I came across this recipe, and thought it would work out so well, and it's delicious!  I don't pound the cutlets thin, I slice them, but not too thin, I like them a little thicker, they come out tender this way. And I don't roll the cutlets like a traditional Chicken Cordon Blue, the ham and cheese are simply laid on top of the chicken, and there you go, no toothpicks involved!  And, I don't fry the cutlets, I oven-bake them, saves so much time! Of course I have added my own touches to this recipe, like breading the chicken as I do with my Chicken Parm recipe, (you can find here),  I posted a few days ago, and .......the best part of this dish is..........the CHEESE SAUCE!!!!

Try my Chicken Cordon Blue, you will love it!  YUMMO!

Chicken Cordon Blue.....The Easy Way!

8 Chicken Cutlets, sliced but not too thin
2 cups bread crumbs, plus 1/2 cup reserved for topping
1/2 cup Parm Cheese
1 cup Italian dressing
8 slices Swiss Cheese
8 slices Deli Ham

If the cutlets are thick, slice in half..  Dip the cutlets in the Italian dressing, then dredge in the bread crumbs and Parm Cheese.  Put them on a greased foil lined cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until done, and golden brown, do not turn over. Top with ham first then the cheese and bake until the cheese is melted about 5 minutes or so.  Top with reserved bread crumbs and bake another 2 - 3 minutes until crispy!  ENJOY!

Cheese Sauce

1/2 stick Butter
1/2 cup flour
2 cups milk
2 TBS Mustard (yes mustard!)
2 tsp. Nutmeg
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese or American, whatever you have
salt and pepper to taste

In a small sauce pan, melt the butter and then add the flour, stirring constantly with a whisk for about 1 minute, add the milk, and keep whisking until all combined with the butter/flour mixture, Add the mustard and cheese and whisk again, keep whisking until all combined, add the nutmeg, salt and pepper. Taste it, what does it need, more salt?  More pepper?  Take the chicken out of the oven, and Serve with rice or noodles, and a veggie, and then top the chicken with the CHEESE SAUCE!  So YUMMO!!!!!

No comments: