Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Something Comforting....Steel Cut Oatmeal!

Well, it's finally cold outside, a chilly 38 this morning when I took my daughter Becca to the bus.  Loving this weather, and I'm ready for the colder months.  I hear rumors that we may get some snow tomorrow, wouldn't that be nice.  But, it is very soon, Summer was extended this year so it seemed.

Here's a quick and easy recipe when you're on the go. When the weather gets chilly out, I want a comforting breakfast, and I think oatmeal is just that! So, last night I whipped up a batch of Irish Steel Cut Oatmeal. You may be asking, why did you make it last night? Well, I made it in the slow cooker. It cooked all night long, so it would be ready for us when we all woke up.

I love oatmeal, and it's so good for us! And I wanted to try something different, and I heard about this Irish Steel Cut Oats....and always wanted to try it. I found a recipe for it online, and guess what, this morning it was waiting for us, and it was truly delicious!!!!
My hubby has been asking me to make oatmeal lately, and I've been forgetting. So this morning he was welcomed with the delicious smell of oatmeal cooking right when he woke up. Mind you, the kids wouldn't even try it, of course not. What is with them? I tried everything when I was a little girl, and I loved everything! Here's the recipe.

Slow Cooker Irish Steel Cut Oats
1 cup Irish Steel Cut Oats
1 cup dried cranberries or raisins (or just leave them out)
1/2 tsp. salt
4 cups water
1/2 cup half & half or milk, or whatever milk you have
2 Tbs honey, or sweetener, or even sugar (I used the honey, next time I will leave it out and just add sweetener on to my own serving, I have to watch my sugar intake)

Spray the inside of a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Combine all the ingredients into the slow cooker, except the half & half and honey. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours. When you wake up, it's all cooked, just add the half &half and honey, and serve.


No comments: