Saturday, October 1, 2011

Quesadilla's.......so YUMMO!

I hardly ever eat lunch, sometimes I think it's the "forgotten" meal.  But my family has to eat, and sometimes peanut butter and jelly just doesn't cut it.  I came up with this Quesadilla recipe a couple of years ago.  We were all hungry, all out of bread (yeah, you can't believe it, huh?), and the fridge was empty. I was planning on going food shopping, but not that day, I know, but it was Summer, the day was beautiful, and I wanted to be in the pool all day long.  We did have floured tortilla's, and of course my pantry was stocked, so I grabbed a can of refried beans. I always have some kind of cheese in the fridge, and there was some leftover chicken.  I got the griddle out, and started making Quesadilla's.  It's like a grilled cheese with refried beans, and whatever else you have laying around. Sometimes for a treat I make a Nutella and banana Quesadilla, now that's delicious!!! They cook up really fast, you gotta watch they can burn!  After taking the refried bean Quesadilla off the griddle, I usually cut it into 4 -8 pieces, and serve with sour cream, salsa, chopped tomato's and even a little cilantro, gives such a fresh taste.  These make a great appetizer too!   A perfect "sandwich" for a perfect lunch or snack!  YUMMO! 

Refried Bean Cheese Quesadilla
2 large floured Tortilla's
About 3 TBS Refried Beans
leftover cooked chopped chicken or beef (optional)
Shredded Cheddar (or whatever you have) Cheese
1 TBS butter

Toppings
sour cream
salsa
cilantro
chopped tomato's

Preheat a frying pan or griddle to high.  Using the 2 tortilla's, spread 3 TBS of  refried beans on one tortilla, sprinkle with desired amount of cheese, add the chicken if you want, if you don't have, it's fine without the chicken.  Put the other tortilla on top, like a sandwich.  Butter both sides. Lower to MEDIUM it could burn.....cook for 2 minutes until golden brown. Flip and cook another 2 minutes on other side. Cut into 4 - 8 wedges, serve with sour cream, salsa, chopped tomato's and cilantro.

Nutella and Banana Quesadilla
Same method......Just substitute Nutella and banana's.  DELICIOUS!!!!
Pizza Quesadilla
Same method.....Just substitute "sauce".....you do have some kind of pasta sauce in your fridge or pantry, right? 
and Mozzarella cheese, leftover meatballs, sausage, or pepperoni......so DELICIOUS!  ENJOY!

1 comment:

Lois Christensen said...

I make these all the time with leftover chicken too. Olivia loves these. Good Lizzie!