Thursday, January 19, 2012

Beef Enchiladas!

It was 8 degrees this morning when I drove Becca to the bus stop, but still no snow!  We are suppose to get some snow this weekend, really hoping over here.  I am really enjoying the chilly days here in New Jersey, we have the pellet stove on, and our house is so cozy, just the way I love it.  I hope you all are enjoying your Winter too!

I've been cooking Beef Enchiladas now for years.  They are easy, and so delicious.  They remind me of a Mexican Lasagna.  Yes, now don't faint..... I use the canned refried beans, canned enchiladas sauce, and even packet of taco seasoning mix, they are so helpful, easy for a busy mom like me, and for a very busy week here at home. To make this all taste so delicious and "fresh" I do use fresh Cilantro.  I love fresh Cilantro, I even grew it with my herbs this past Summer, it makes all mexican dishes taste so "fresh", even if you are using canned ingredients like beans.  Make this recipe, so delicious, so satisfying!  YUMMO!

Beef Enchiladas

2 pounds Ground Beef, 85% lean
1 can Refried Beans
1 can Black Beans (drain, and rinsed from their liquid)
1 large can Enchiladas Sauce (red or green, the green is delicious!)
1 packet Taco seasoning mix
2 TBS of fresh Cilantro reserve 1 TBS for garnish
1/4 cup water
1 package of shredded Cheddar Cheese, about 12 oz
1 package of the medium Flour Tortilla's, about 10 in a pkg
1 small can of chili's only if you like it hot...I tend to leave this out because my kids won't like it

Garnish - Sour Cream, Salsa, and a sprinkling of fresh Cilantro!

In a skillet brown the meat and then drain all the fat, I drain the meat using a colander. Then return the meat back to the skillet.  Add the water, taco seasoning mix, refried beans, rinsed black beans, chilis and cook for another 5 minutes and mix it really good to combine.

In a 9x13 greased casserole dish, put about 1/2 cup of the Enchiladas Sauce, then take the Floured Tortilla's and spread about 2 TBS of the beef mixture in the middle of each tortilla, and then top it with a sprinkling of cheese, but save about 1 cup of the cheese for the topping at the end. Roll them up, and put them in ONE LAYER in the casserole dish on top of the enchiladas sauce.  Continue doing this until all the beef mixture is gone, and the floured tortillas are used up, you will have about 10, squeeze them in the casserole dish again, only one layer.  Top with the remaining enchiladas sauce, and cheese.  Bake uncovered in a 350 oven for 1/2 hour.



Serve with salsa, sour cream, and a sprinkle of fresh Cilantro on top!
I usually make a Spanish rice dish with this and top it with a most delicious salad with Italian dressing, not too heavy!  Enjoy!

No comments: