Monday, January 16, 2012

Stuffed Peppers!

Have you ever made Stuffed Peppers?  They are so delicious!  My mom use to make them for us while we were growing up, and I remembered how much I love them.  I make them for my family, and my Hubby loves them, and the kids do like them too, just not the pepper part. 

All it is my Meatball recipe, cut the top off of a green or red pepper, remove the stems and seeds and you have a nice "container". You simply stuff it with the meatball mix. Then top it off with tomato sauce, homemade would be great, but there are times when I used Jar Sauce, now again, don't faint! YUMMO!

Stuffed Peppers

4 large Green or Red Peppers tops cut off seeds removed
3 cups  Homemade Tomato Sauce or Jar Sauce
1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
4 TBS Parmesan Cheese
Cut tops off of pepper!
Helpful Tip - sometimes the peppers will wobble or fall over in the casserole dish, because their bottoms aren't level, so I trim just a tiny bit of the flesh off the bottom of the pepper to make it level, and they stand up straight! EASY!
Remove Seeds, and trim bottoms!

Meatball Mix for the Stuffing of Peppers
2 pounds chop meat (85% lean would do)
1 1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
3 TBS fresh parsley or 2 tsp dried
1 TBS fresh basil or 2 tsp dried
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/4 cup Parm cheese

Mix together with your HANDS......YES... you need to do this with your hands!!!  Stuff each Pepper with about 1 handful of Meatball mix.

Put the Peppers in a square casserole dish and top with the sauce and then top again with the Mozzarella Cheese and  Parm cheese. Bake in a 350 oven for 1 hour until the meatball mixture is cooked well.  Serve over pasta!  Enjoy!

No comments: