Saturday, January 21, 2012

Comfort Food - A Recipe Revisited.....Lentil Soup!

It's finally snowing today here in New Jersey.  Everyone is excited, it's really the first snowstorm of the Winter season here, we will forget about the Halloween Blizzard we had some months ago.  The kids are excited and want to go out in it already, but it's very cold, so I said to wait some.

Here is a great recipe for Lentil Soup.  I posted it back in September, but it's really a comfort food, that is much needed on a very cold and snowy day like today.  I am making it for tonight's dinner, along with a hearty loaf of homemade bread!  YUMMO!

Have you ever tried Lentil Soup? It may sound not very appetizing, but really is one of the most delicious soups, especially on a day like today. My mom made the best Lentil Soup when I was growing up, it was delicious. I usually start the soup in the morning, so it can simmer on the stove just about all day. I have even made it in the crock pot on days when I'm not home, so easy! The dried lentils are easy, you don't have to soak them overnight, like most dried beans, just rinse them and they are good to go. I use kielbasi in my lentil soup, makes it nice and hearty, and my hubby is happy, cause it's not dinner if there's no meat! Serve over brown rice, it's a hearty and delicious meal, and don't forget the homemade bread.....homemade bread, look for that recipe soon. Enjoy!

Lentil Soup

1 bag green lentils
1 large onion diced
2 starks celery diced
1 large carrot diced
1 whole (Hillshire Farm) link of kielbasi cut in small pieces
garlic minced - about 1 clove
salt and pepper to taste (we like it very well seasoned)
1 bay leaf
3 tsp. beef bouillon
1/2 small can tomato paste
About 5 cups of water

Rinse the lentils you don't have to soak them overnight. In a large pot saute the onions, celery, onions and garlic until soft, add salt and pepper. Add the kielbasi and then the lentils. Saute for about 3 more minutes. Add the water, beef bouillon, bay leaf, and tomato paste. Stir and cook over low heat for about 5 hours or so...or after sauteing the veggies add everything to a crock pot and cook on high for 5 hours or so.. Serve over cooked brown or white rice - Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Visiting with you from Lois' blog today! I confess, I've never had lentil soup but this sounds delicious. My hubby has to have meat and loves kielbasi, too!
Hope you have a great day - enjoy looking at the pretty snow. We have rain in GA today.

Liz said...

Thanks for visiting me Maple Lane, hope you make the Lentil Soup, it was delicious last night for dinner! Come back again!