Friday, December 16, 2011

Sausage, Peppers...........and Onions!

Well, Christmas will be here before we know it.  Our Church Cantata is this weekend, and yes I am singing in it.  I am excited, we are singing a beautiful musical, "Hope is Born, Emanuel!"  We have a full orchestra, and our children's choir will be singing as well....and my little boy will be singing with them!  We've been been practicing since September, and it's going to be really nice. So that will be our busy weekend, the last weekend before Christmas!  I have some last minute baking that I want to get done tomorrow morning, along with wrapping presents, will I ever get it all done? 

Last night I cooked Sausage & Peppers for dinner.  I love Sausage & Peppers, mom use to make them when I was a little girl, not too often, but when she did, they were delicious!  This is such an easy dish, I usually make it in the summer when we have a crowd over.  I roast the pepper and onions in the oven, so much easier than on the stove top.  I don't put any sauce in my sausage & peppers, just a little olive oil and salt and pepper.  I cook the sausages separate from the peppers and onions, I don't like greasy pepper and onions!   Yes, I do try and cook healthy.

Make Sausage & Peppers for your next dinner, they are delicious and EASY!

Sausage & Peppers

About 10 Bulk Sweet or Hot Sausages
4 large Green Peppers 1 large Red Pepper chopped
4 large Onions chopped
2 TBS Olive Oil
salt and pepper to taste

Cut up the green peppers, red pepper, and onions.  Put them in a greased dutch oven, or 9x13 casserole dish.  Pour the olive oil over them, salt and pepper, toss with your hands.  Put in a 350 oven for 45 minutes, until all cooked down and almost caramelized.

 Line a cookie sheet with foil, and put the sausages on it, put them int the oven alongside the peppers and onions.  Cook for 45 minutes until nice and brown and cooked through.  Take the Sausages off the cookie sheet, throw out the foil and grease, and put them in the pan with the peppers and onions, and cook for another 20 minutes.  Serve with hard rolls, or we like to eat them over pasta!  SO YUMMO!

No comments: