Thursday, December 1, 2011

Brittle Bar....Tis the Season of Baking....Get Started!

I love this time of year!  It's chilly outside, the Christmas Tree is up and decorated, the house is just about finished, and I want to start baking Christmas Cookies!  I have this great recipe for Brittle Bar, it's delicious, and EASY.  I love easy recipes, hey I'm busy, and I need all the help I can get.  My friend Kim gave me this recipe about 2 years ago, she made it for a church function, and I had to ask for the recipe.  It's made with.....are you ready....Saltine Crackers!  Yes, Saltine Crackers, so if you like sweet and salty, this is perfect for you!  You can bag them in those pretty treat bags, and give them away as gifts.  I know everyone loves receiving delicious treats as gifts this time of year,  or just let your family enjoy them.  I usually give one recipe away, and make an extra for my family!  Try this recipe, you will love it!

yes, these crackers!

Brittle Bar

1. Line a cookie sheet with foil and coat with veggie spray.
2. Arrange Saltine Crackers in a single layer covering the whole cookie sheet.

Arrange crackers and pour butter and brown sugar over

3. Melt in a sauce pan, 2 sticks butter with 1 cup Brown Sugar
4. Pour over the crackers, spreading evenly
5. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes
6. While baking - melt 1 bag of Chocolate Chips in Microwave (I like to add 1 TBS of shortening at   this point just makes the chocolate more creamy and easier to pour/drizzle)

melt chocolate

7. Stir until smooth making sure the shortening is all melted and combined.
8. Take tray out of oven and immediately settle crackers back into place
9. Spread melted chocolate over crackers
10. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts, or whatever nut you prefer

Spread chocolate all over and top with nuts, let cool!

11. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until hardened
12. Break into pieces
13. Store in a sealed container in the frig.

SO YUMMO!

No comments: