Friday, December 9, 2011

Sloppy Joes! So comforting....and Roasted Sweet Potato Fries....YUMMO!

I feel like I've been running around crazy this past week.  I know Christmas is coming, but come on all this just for one day?  Well I do it all because my kids like all the traditions we started since they were babies.  This weekend I will start my Christmas baking.  I went to the store and got all the ingredients, and hopefully after a long morning at church, being involved with the Children's Christmas Program, and the Choir, I will want to come home and bake. I will start posting Christmas Cookie Recipes next week.

Sloppy Joes are an EASY and Quick meal for a busy weeknight.. Perfect for tonight's busy evenings.  Tonight is Becca's Christmas Concert at school, she's a sophomore in high school, and the choir is fantastic!!!  I am excited to see her perform, all the girls are dressed in black gowns and the boys are in tuxes....so wonderful and festive!  Back to the recipe, this recipe is The Pioneer Woman's recipe, and it's easy, and delicious.  Of course I made a few changes to my liking, but that's what "cooks" do!

Here's the recipe for homemade Sloppy Joes....Enjoy!

2-1/2 pounds Ground Beef
1/2 whole Large Onion, Diced
1 whole Large Green or Red Bell Pepper, Diced
2 Tsp. Garlic powder
1-1/2 cup Ketchup
1 cup Water
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
3 TBS Chili Powder (more To Taste)
1 TBS regular Brown Mustard
1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (more To Taste)
2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste (optional)
Salt To Taste
Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
Hamburger Rolls, I found really great Whole Wheat Hamburger Rolls....so good!

Spray a large skillet or dutch oven with some cooking spray, over medium high heat add ground beef and cook until brown. Drain most of the fat and discard, but do not pour it down your drain, it will stop the drain up!  I learned that from experience years ago!

Add onions, green pepper, and garlic. Cook for a few minutes, or until vegetables begin to get soft.
Add ketchup, brown sugar, chili powder, red pepper flakes, mustard, water, tomato paste. Simmer on low.  Taste it what does it need?  More salt, more chili powder,  and adjust seasonings as needed.   Cook for 1/2 hour on low heat with a lid not quite covering so it thickens. Serve on any roll of your choice, but those Whole Wheat Hamburger rolls were YUMMO!

Roasted Sweet Potato Fries

3 large Sweet Potato's - or more if WANTED!!!!!
2 TBS canola oil
salt and pepper to taste

Cut up the potato's into wedges, do not peel.  Line a cookies sheet with foil or parchment (for easy cleanup) and coat with cooking spray, add the sweet potatoes, oil, salt and pepper, toss with your hands.  Cook in a 400 oven for 1/2 hour until lightly brown and crispy.  Enjoy!

Posted by on April 11 2010

No comments: