Saturday, July 21, 2012

Oven-Fried Eggplant! SO YUMMO!

Well, the rain came and went.  Yesterday it poured just about all day long.  We really needed the rain here in New Jersey, and the temps were chilly!  Enough of that, and bring on the sunshine, we still have Summer to enjoy!

I've been enjoying our veggie garden, so far we've pick one beautiful Eggplant, and a bunch of other veggies...but today it's about the Eggplant!

1 large eggplant from my garden!

More eggplant will be ready soon. I love gardening, you would never think I'm a New York City girl!

I love Eggplant and make a great Eggplant Parm!  Traditionally, Eggplant would be fried, I use to always fry it up when I was a girl living at home.  My mom would ask me to do the honors, and I loved it....and ate a lot of it too.

I came up with "baking eggplant" years ago.  It's easy, and so much better for you.  The eggplant come out of the oven crispy, and delicious. 

Oven-Fried Eggplant

1 large Eggplant (the eggplant from my garden wasn't very thick, and it was so tender!)
2 eggs
2 cups Italian Style Bread Crumbs or more if needed, hey I NEVER MEASURE when I COOK!
About 1/2 cup Canola Oil or Olive Oil whatever you have on hand



Peel and slice the eggplant thin


Dip the eggplant in the eggs.....Remember one hand for wet....


Then in the bread crumbs....the other hand for dry!
So I did it with the same hand.... I had to take the picture!

Put them on a well greased cookie sheet... Sorry didn't take pictures of me putting the eggplant on a cookie sheet...you know how to do that, right? :)

Brush with the Canola oil.....

Bake in 400 degrees oven on the bottom rack for about 15 minutes until brown on top, then turn over and cook until crispy about another 5 minutes.  At this point my smoke alarm goes off every time!



This is what it looks like when they come out of the oven
Sorry no pretty picture, we ate them all too fast!

So delicious, so crispy!  Complete YUMMO!

Eat them all up, it will be hard not too....or make Eggplant Parm!  Enjoy!


2 comments:

Blondee said...

Hi Liz,

I am your newest follower. I've never tried eggplant, always been afraid of trying to cook with it, but this recipe sounds delicious and easy!

Liz said...

Hi Blondee...thanks so much for your comment, as you see I don't get many comments around here! Love your blog, and yes eggplant is so delicious when it's cooked right! Enjoy! Come back and visit! :)