Thursday, July 5, 2012

Rustic Peach Pie

We had a wonderful Fourth of July!  The food was great, the weather was hot and sunny, and visiting with my family was even better!  I hope you all enjoyed your holiday, now Summer is officially here!

I've been making Pie for a very long time now.  I have mastered pie crust, and when you have a good pie crust recipe, you can make any kind of pie you want.  I have a very Easy Pie Crust Recipe that I've shared with you many times.  It's a No fail pie crust, it comes out flaky, and delicious. I would NEVER by one of those refrigerated pie crusts, they are expensive, but I use to many years ago until I tried this recipe. 

This recipe is for a Rustic Peach Pie, and it's easy, so if you're intimidated by rolling out a pie crust and crimping the edges, this Rustic Peach Pie is for you! 

No Fail Pie Crust

2 & 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup shortening
1 tsp salt
1 egg
water
1 tsp. vinegar

In a large bowl put the flour and salt, and shortening, then using a pastry cutter or 2 knives cut the shortening into the flour and salt.

Using a liquid measuring cup, break one egg into it, and then fill it to the 1/2 cup line with ice cold water, and add 1 tsp vinegar.....YES vinegar......it will be fine you'll see.

 Mix it with a fork, then add it to the flour/shortening mixture and mix together with with a fork, then get your hands in there and gather the dough together don't be afraid, this pie dough recipe you can work the dough and it will still be flaky!

Form into a round disk, if it's too wet, add a little more flour, too dry, add very little water....it will be sticky, but not overly sticky.....all depends on the day and humidity.......wrap in plastic wrap and put in the frig for about 1/2 hour, or you can even leave it in there for 2 days, or freeze it for whatever pie you want.  I do believe it rolls out easier when it's not chilled for a long time, so 1/2 hour really should do the trick.

Rustic Peach Pie

1 recipe of No Fail Pie Crust
6 Peaches sliced thin
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 TBS flour
1/2 stick of butter cubed

Slice the peaches (you don't have to peel them) into a big bowl add the sugar, cinnamon, and flour.

Take the pie dough out of the frig, and cut the disk in half, you only need half of the pie dough for this recipe, or if you want to double the recipe, go for it!

Shape the half disk into a ball then flatten with your hand.  Roll 1/2 the disk of pie dough out on a floured surface, sprinkle the flour on the surface first, then put the pie dough down, sprinkle a little more flour on top of the dough, and using your rolling pin start rolling with into a 9 inch circle. Before you add the filling, transfer the dough to a foiled line or parchment line cookie sheet.

Rolling out Pie Dough
Put the Peach filling in the center of the pie dough, dot the filling with the cubed butter.and simply fold the sides over the filling. 

Filling in the center of the pie dough!
Fold the sides over!

Make an Egg Wash: Combine 1 egg yolk and 2 TBS water in a small bowl, brush the top of the pie and bake in a preheated 350 oven for 45 minutes.  Let cool and EAT!  YUMMO!






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried your pie recipe and I could not believe the results. I am hooked. Thank you so much for the recipe. My family loved the pie. My kids got a big kick out of the shape. My husband just cut off a hunk and walked out to the deck with it. I love you blog your recipes are easy to ready and easy to make. I have told some of my friends to come on over. Keep up the good work. Mom with two left thumbs

Lois Christensen said...

Looks good! I love peaches! Thanks for joining Foodie Friend's Friday! Please come back next Friday with another great recipe!