Thursday, November 17, 2011

Counting Down to Thanksgiving........Apple Pie!

Well, Thanksgiving is only one week away, are you ready?  We are going to my Sister's house this year for our feast, and to think of it, I am very relieved!  I do enjoy cooking the meal, setting the table, getting the house all ready for my family, but this year I am welcoming the break! 

The Thanksgiving menu is usually a very large menu, with all the fixings, we cook for days, and eat the meal in only 20 minutes, well in my family that's what we do, we don't linger at the table like most people do.  The desserts are usually pies, and of course cookies!  Mom would always make four different kinds of pies when I was a kid, Apple, Pumpkin, Mincemeat (YUM, yes I love Mincemeat too)  and Coconut Cream. I loved each one, but my absolute favorite was always Apple Pie!

I make a great Apple Pie today, it's probably one of the first things I make after we go apple picking.  The pie crust is my Easy Pie Crust that I have made for you all a couple of times already, you can find it here.  Please make an Apple Pie for Thanksgiving, buying one just isn't the same.  Ok, you can say it, I am a food snob, cause I would NEVER buy an Apple Pie, especially for Thanksgiving!  Homemade is the way to go!

Apple Pie
6 Apples peeled, cored and sliced thin (I like to use Granny Smith)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup Brown sugar
2 Tsp. Cinnamon
3 TBS flour
6 TBS of butter
1 recipe of my Easy No Fail Pie Crust
1 egg, 1 TBS water for Egg Wash

Roll the dough out

Dot with butter
Crimp the edges
All ready for the oven!

 Make the Pie Dough and put in frig for 1/2 hour to chill.  Take out the pie dough and start rolling it out.  Add the sliced apples to a big bowl, add the sugars, flour, cinnamon.  Mix well. Lay the bottom crust in a pie plate, add the apple mixture, cut up the butter into small pieces, and put them all over the apples, roll out the top pie crust, and top the pie.  Crimp the edges pretty, brush with egg wash, and cut 3 - 5 slits in the top crust for air holes.  Sprinkle with 1 TBS sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon for extra goodness.  Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 50 minutes.  YUMMO!

No comments: