Saturday, November 12, 2011

Counting Down to Thanksgiving....Homemade Cranberry Sauce

I love Cranberry Sauce, even the can stuff is really good!  I always have a can of Cranberry Sauce in my pantry, even for a weeknight chicken meal, and my daughter Becca loves it too.  I started making my own Cranberry Sauce several years ago.  I didn't know how EASY it is to make it homemade.  I use the bag of fresh cranberries, there's a recipe right on the back of the bag, but like everything, I add my own touch to to the dish.  I don't like it so sweet, and I like it tangy, so I add some fresh orange juice and cinnamon. Fresh Cranberries are seasonal, but you can substitute frozen cranberries, and it still comes out perfect! Homemade Cranberry Sauce, you will love it, and will not want to serve the can stuff again!

Homemade Cranberry Sauce

1 Bag Fresh Whole Cranberries (sold in the produce)
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 TBS orange zest
1 tsp. cinnamon

In a medium size pot bring the water and sugar to a boil, add the orange juice, and bag of cranberries.  Lower the heat to med/low, and continue cooking, you will hear and see some of the berries pop. Keep cooking for about 15 mins and stir occasionally.  It will thicken some. After the 15 minutes, take off the heat and add the orange zest and cinnamon.  Stir and let cool.  Put in a container and refrigerate overnight.  Put in a pretty dish, and serve at room temperature.  YUMMO!

No comments: