Sunday, November 13, 2011

Counting Down to Thanksgiving......Pecan Pie!

We had friends over yesterday for dinner, and I made Turkey with all the trimmings.  You see my Hubby has to WORK this year for Thanksgiving, and I am NOT happy about it.  So, I promised him I would make Turkey with all the fixings one day before Thanksgiving, and as promised, I made it yesterday!

On the menu was one of my Hubby's favorite's...Pecan Pie.  I was busy all day on Friday, and wanted to get the Pecan Pie made that evening.  I knew the recipe called for Dark Corn Syrup.....I went into my pantry, and there was no Dark Corn Syrup.  What to do, it was late, I was exhausted, I was already in my pj's,  my Hubby left for work already, and did I say I was exhausted?  So I went online and looked for a recipe for Pecan Pie that didn't use Dark Corn Syrup.  And indeed, I found a recipe, and a really delicious one!  The pie isn't as sweet, and it's made with natural ingredients, no High Fructose Corn Syrup!  The pie's color is a little lighter, but other than that, it was perfect!

Try this recipe, you may NEVER have to buy Dark Corn Syrup, again....cause what else do you buy that stuff for?

Pecan Pie
You will need 1 pie crust. You can find my recipe for my Pie Crust  HERE! (you only need 1/2 of the dough so make the pie dough, and when it's done chilling, cut the disk in half, and roll out.  Wrap the other half in plastic and put in a baggie, and freeze for your next pie!

1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees               
In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter. Stir in the brown sugar, white sugar and the flour; mix well. Last add the milk, vanilla and nuts. Pour into an unbaked 9-in pie shell. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until done. YUMMO!

1 comment:

Lois Christensen said...

Whichever recipe you use, just bring a pecan pie with you on Thanksgiving Day. :)